George Gordon First Nation



Indian Registry

“Historical treaties signed with the Crown (Canada) as well as other old and new legislation guarantee certain rights and benefits to Aboriginal people living in Canada. Aboriginal rights are also protected in Canada's Constitution.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) is responsible for fulfilling the Government of Canada's obligations and commitments to First Nations, Inuit and Métis. The Department also deals with specific rights and benefits for First Nation people such as "Indian Status", and, in some cases, managing band moneys or individual estates.”AANDC Website

The George Gordon First Nation Administration Registry Clerk oversees and maintains the membership database that contains the personal information all band members. The members within the list are entitled to certain rights and benefits that do come with Indian Status.

The Registry is responsible for the following:

  • Obtaining documents to verify these events;
  • Reporting these events to the regional office of the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada;
  • Processing certificates of Indian Status
  • Notifying the regional office of any administrative changes such as changes of personnel in this department at Band level;
  • Taking such training and upgrading as relates to the duties above when suggested by AANDC;
  • Monitoring supplies related to the program, such as film and laminating pouches, and referring requisitions for the same to the Band Manager for ordering;
  • Producing correspondence and band Council Resolution forms related to this program maintaining a computerized record of Band Membership, and place of residence of each family group for assisting in determining on reserve/off reserve population statistics.

January, 2013

For your protection and to prevent identity theft, all IRA officers are required to adhere to the “Privacy Act.” We are all sworn to confidentiality of any and all information that we are privy to. Consequently, if you are phoning our office to obtain another member’s information (e.g. Status numbers etc) please be advised that we will not release this information. In the case of a minor, the parent or Legal Guardian may obtain a child’s information providing the appropriate identification and proof is provided to the IRA (Legal Guardianship forms, etc). We are not obligated, however, to release your child’s information to any organization, third party, or an individual who is not the parent or guardian of a child.

Bill C-3

“On December 15, 2010 Bill C-3: Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act received Royal Assent. The Governor in Council has announced that effective January 31, 2011, the Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act came into force.

This bill amends provisions of the Indian Act that the Court of Appeal for British Columbia found to be unconstitutional in the case of McIvor v. Canada. The bringing into force of Bill C-3 will ensure that eligible grand-children of women who lost status as a result of marrying non-Indian men will become entitled to registration (Indian status). As a result of this legislation approximately 45,000 persons will become newly entitled to registration.”AANDC Website

Under Bill C31, if you mother had married a non-status man and lost her status, she would then regained status under Section 6(1)(c), of the Indian Act. Bill C3 has now allowed these children to gain status under Section 6(2) of the Indian Act, and you status is changed to Section 6(1)(c.1) of the Indian Act. In order to obtain this status you must contact Aboriginal Affairs and complete an application form.

Status Cards:

The new Security Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card is now available within the province of Saskatchewan. The SCIS card replaces the previous CIS (Certificate of Indian Status) card and is provided to assist registered Indians in accessing entitlement, programs and services, such as non-insured health benefits, dental and vision benefits, etc. There are two levels of security available with the new cards. The first level of security is for use within Canada only. The second level is the “Boarder Crossing” level that allows the card holder to cross the United States border by land or Sea; however air crossing will still required a Canadian Passport.

At this time application for these cards are handled only by the Regional Office. Applications are sent to Ottawa for completion. Requirements for the application are: an original birth document, any name change documents such as marriage certificates and two other pieces of ID, one being a photo ID.

Up until the actual roll over the new card is complete, the previous (CIS) cards will still be available at the band level. To obtain a CIS card you will still require two pieces of identification one of which is a photo ID. If you do not have a current photo ID a declaration may be done by the Chief and Council.

Birth Registrations:

Birth registration is the sole responsibility of the birth parents or Legal Guardians of a child. Aboriginal Affairs does not automatically register your child when he/she is born. In order to register a child with AADNC, both Parents are required to complete a Birth Registration Form, and present a Long Form Birth Certificate. The Birth Registration For is available at the Band level or at any Aboriginal Affairs Office. The Birth Registration form determines which band the child will be registered to. The Long Form Birth Certificate names the child’s parent. This document is the responsibility of the parents and can be obtained from Vital Statistics within the same province the child was born. As a reminder to mothers – if the father is not named on the Long Form Birth Certificate and he is a registered Indian, your child will be registered in the 6(2) category of the Indian Act. A Child registered in this category will not be able to pass on Indian Status.

Recording Deaths, Marriages, Divorces, etc:

In order to keep the Indian Registry current and your name correct, it is imperative to record the above events. If you have become married, divorced or undergone a name change, please contact the office and either bring or mail in a copy of your corresponding marriage/divorce/name change certificate. In the event of a death, the “Estate Executor” should be informing the office of the passing and providing the death certificate.

Address Updates:

Addresses are not kept by Aboriginal Affairs. When a list of band members is generated from the Registry List your address is not included. Address lists are the sole responsibility of the Band Office, so please ensure that you contact this office and update any changes. Your address is essential for election and any other voting process.

If you have any questions or concerns in regards to registration please do not hesitate to call the Band Registry Clerk. They will be able to answer all the questions you may have.