My name is Cheryl Gordon, the new Education Manager for the George Gordon First Nation. I just recently graduated from the First Nations University of Canada with my Bachelor Degree in Education (Indigenous Education).
"THE GEORGE GORDON FIRST NATION EDUCATION PROGRAM IS DEDICATED TO THE ADVANCEMENT OF OUR PEOPLE THROUGH EDUCATION ALONG WITH THE PRESERVATION OF OUR CULTURE, TRADITIONS, VALUES, CUSTOMS AND THE SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING OF OUR FAMILIES."
Since I was hired on June 28, 2016; some of my job duties are: plan, implement, evaluate, and report on education programs.
- To serve and protect the interests of the students, parents, and staff.
- To serve and protect the interests and integrity of the Chief and Council.
- To efficiently and effectively manage the functioning of the education program(s) and its budget(s)
- Maintain liaison with funding agency and provide all required financial and narrative reports on a timely basis.
- Research on an ongoing basis, potential education initiatives that would benefit the George Gordon First Nation students.
- Undertake the development of proposals, work plans, budgets and reports for education initiatives.
The Education programs offers student incentive for students that meet certain criteria such as; have good attendance, their academics are higher than 70%. On June 30, 2016 the Education program held an awards day for those students that did exceptionally well throughout the school year. We handed out well over a hundred awards to our students.
In July the Education program hired summer students to give them the opportunity to acquire some job skills along with experience in the particular field of interest. Over the course of six weeks the students got to experience working at our Gordon Retail Store where they learned to pump gas and stock shelves with supplies. Another great opportunity of experience was the literacy camps that were held at the TEC center. We had children of all ages from 4 years old up to the age of 13. The summer students took the time out to read stories, play games and do crafts. It was a great learning experience for everyone involved.
If you should have any questions feel free to contact me at George Gordon Administration Centre at (306) 835-2232 or the toll free number 1-877-835-2232. Or you can email me at email@example.com.